For event rental and information please email: email@example.com
Early in the 19th century there were a few private academies located within Uwchlan Township. With a growing population, several families pooled their resources to establish a subscription school. The White School officially opened in the Fall of 1817 and was named for the whitewashed stucco-over-stone construction. When Pennsylvania's public school law was enacted in 1837, the White School became one of the township's first public schools.
In 1863, the original White School, overcrowded with 60 students in attendance, was rebuilt to the current building located at Route 100 and Worthington Road, Exton, Chester County. Abraham Fetters, a teacher at the school for nine years and a pioneer in the field of public education, established notable milestones at the school:
(1) The first Teacher's Association was established in the township.
(2) Vocal music was introduced into the school curriculum, including concerts.
(3) The first Public School Library
(4) A student marking / grading system.
Other notable figures in the area who attended the school include Sara Louise Vickers (Oberholtzer), Frances Dinkel (Matthews) and Congressman Thomas S. Butler.
The school district closed the school in 1918, from that point the schoolhouse was in private ownership for various uses.